Monday, November 12, 2012

The political one.

I meant to get this blog out last week, but as I was really busy with school, it had to wait.  I'm not a person that likes to argue politically and, up until this election, really didn't voice any opinions about politics other than who I was voting for.  Mainly because I operate on a motto that I don't talk about politics or religion - you never know who you are going to offend.

Saying that, I need to speak up after reading a select few status updates on Facebook of some Republican friends of mine.  I can't believe how obstinate (some) Republicans have become.  With news coming in of President Obama's re-election, some people where saying how our country is "doomed" and we're all "screwed".  Really?  Doomed?  That seems a little excessive.  Other Republican friends that work for the government said they were probably going to lose their jobs.  Why?  Why are we doomed and why are you going to lose your job because our President was re-elected?  Drama queens.  

I first started my big travel expeditions in 2004, two months before the Bush v. Kerry election.  Not really knowing where I was headed, I ended up in Scotland.  Having been in the UK for about a week, I found it very clear that Bush was not a popular guy.  Upon my arrival in Edinburgh, I was asked by an Australian family if I wanted to join them for a drink in our hostel.  Travelling alone, I kindly agreed.  When I sat down with them, the first thing they asked me was who was I voting for in the election.  I told them I wasn't voting as I hadn't applied for my absentee ballot in time, but given the chance it would have been Kerry.  The Aussie family then said it was okay for me to still have a drink with them....I'm not sure what they would have done had I said I was voting for Bush. 

During the Bush Administration, most of my time was spent living abroad and Americans became less and less popular.  I would meet random people in pubs and, after hearing my accent, they would start bitching me out claiming how they fought in MY war.  Uh, it's not MY war, fool.  I didn't start the shit.  I know these people were drunken idiots, but case-in-point, this did happen on several occasions.

Then came the 2008 election.  When Barack Obama won, you could almost hear a sigh of relief flowing over the United Kingdom.  All of the sudden, it seemed like the international population decided Americans aren't so bad as to elect this guy into office.  This guy that inspires hope for a new generation and promises to change our country in a positive way.  Over the last four years, I have personally felt an increase in popularity with the way the world views Americans. 

Now to the election last week.  I could feel a new found fear from my friends across the globe as the news was reporting how tight the race was becoming.  My friends scattered around Europe, Asia, and Australia were hoping that the US population would be sensible and re-elect Obama, and not send our progress backwards.  Some of what I was reading about the presidential debates talked of foreign affairs.  I didn't read much into it, I just know it was a main topic of discussion.  When I think of "foreign affairs", I think of the relationship foreign countries have with the US.  Living abroad for the better part of the last 8 years, I can tell you this much: President Barack Obama is fucking loved by the world.  I'm smart enough to realize that there is more to foreign affairs than just being loved, but I think that's a pretty good start.

Just as a side note, last Tuesday I held presidential elections in my classes.  A total of (or round about) 100 students cast their vote in the election.  I think there was a grand total of 5 votes for Mitt Romney.  Every time I read a ballot that had Obama's name on it, the classes cheered and applauded!  A 95% popular vote at Wachirawit School!  Numbers don't lie...my students love Obama!

In Thailand, I didn't "feel" as much of the election as I did in 2008 while I was in England.  Thai's seem more disengaged from anything that's not right in their face.  From what I've seen, they don't tend to think about consequences because a consequence happens in the future - and the future doesn't exist.  However, I read the reactions from my international friends to the elections and not ONE negative thing was said.  Only by the disappointed Reps back home who think we're "doomed". 

Well, I had to put up Bush, Dick, and Colin for 8 years (Colin for only 4), you can put up with BaROCK for another 4 :)

Congratulations, Mr. President, you're well loved all over the world!  I'm proud to have voted for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment