Wednesday, November 21, 2012

One more month...Pic of the Week

Today is the 21st of November, 2012.  Accroding to the Mayans, we've got ONE month left to live.  So naturally, this has me thinking of dead things - something that's not entirely out of the ordinary for me - I have a morbid obsession with dead things.  Not in a weird way.  One of my favourite jobs was working at a cemetery in Denver.  My co-workers were great...they wouldn't talk back, we never got into arguements and they did everything I would say.  For example, I would tell them to play dead, and they would!!  Because they were already there! Ha!  Just kidding.  I had living co-workers as well who were not so bad either.  During my lunch breaks on occasion, I would stroll through the grounds and read the headstones.  It's really amazing what you can find in a cemetery.

This week's Pic of the Week comes from the University Road Cemetery in Leicester, England. 

Photo of the Week:
Headstone in the ferns
University Road Cemetery, Leicester, England 2010

It's a really cool cemetery to wonder through if you ever find yourself in Leicester, and if that's your thing.  Many of the tombstones are lost in a sea of ivy and vines, some covered in daisies, many have been pushed over for fear that someone walks by and it falls on them.  At least if one ever did topple over on someone, they wouldn't have to take them far to bury them!

There are headstones with angels, birds, headless cherubs...there's even a headstone with an an achor and chain for a man who was lost at sea.  There is an angel for a bride, a tragic story of a woman killed on her wedding day.  Unfortunately, some wankers defaced the angel to have a KISS face.

If you're ever bored, I suggest talking a walk through a cemetery and read some of the stories on the headstones.  You never know who you might stumble upon (literally)! 

Also, for the next month, I suggest familiarizing yourself with the educational program The Walking Dead - it will teach you how to kill a zombie, properly.  One can never be too prepared for the Mayan Apocolypse, I always say!  Good luck to you and yours, and if you turn into a zombie, don't bite me.

Detail of a cartoon-like angel on a headstone
University Road Cemetery, Leicester, England 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment