Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Things my students say...

One of my favourite parts about being a teacher is hearing and seeing the crazy things these kids do!  They can certainly bring a smile to your lips and laugh in your belly (or terror, shock, and fear).  Here are a few of those moments I'm sure I will never forget....I hope they make you chuckle!

My 3rd Grade hams! From the left is Film, Focus, Keam-ii and Siri
I've mentioned before that Thai people say my name like "Crazy", because generally when they try to say "crazy" in English, they don't pronounce the /r/, so it comes out like "Casey" - Hence, my name being Kaycee, they call me Teacher Crazy (miraculously, when they call me Teacher Crazy, they can pronounce the /r/...).  One of the Thai teachers actually has my name spelled like C-R-E-Z-Y on the class schedule.  **Sigh**  It never ends.  Even to the point where one of my students asked me why my parents named me Crazy.  "What?!", I said, "My parents didn't name me Crazy!  You call me Crazy because you can't say my name."  She didn't believe me - she genuinely thought my name was Crazy.  I had to spell out my name on the board and spell out c-r-a-z-y so she would see the difference.  Even after that, I'm still Teacher Crazy.

A couple of my 1st Grade trouble makers! Big Big and Satang
This one is something I would like to forget, but I'm sure I never will...
A few months ago, I was standing outside my 3rd grade classroom waiting for the Thai teacher to finish her lesson.  The students in this class are around 8 or 9 years old.  One of the students, a vivacious little firecracker full of energy runs out of the classroom, proclaims that it's time to drink milk, then proceeds to try and suck on my boob!!!!  I was HORRIFIED!!  This girl has pretty good English compared with her classmates, so I pushed her off me and said absolutely you cannot do that...girl came at me again!!  I pushed her away again and said in my stern voice that is inappropriate behaviour and to not ever do that again.  She thought it was funny as hell (and I'm sure she didn't comprehend how wrong this was), I was completely embarrassed and really hoping no one around saw this spectacle.  I've always thought this girl had some serious issues, but if she's still being breast-fed at the age of 9, we've got a whole new can of worms in the mix :-/

This guy is one of my absolute favorites
Justin in 1st Grade - insanely intelligent!
This incident happened a few weeks ago when the students were holding their student council elections.  Again with the pronounciation of the /r/ - in Thai language, /R/ makes an /L/ sound and vice versa.  You can imagine the shock when a student - 12 year old girl - opens our office door and proclaims that we "must come for the erection!!"  WHAT?!  You want us to come for an ERECTION?!  "Yes, teachers!  Come for the erection!"  I work in an office full of typical, of-a-certain-minded men.  Girl meant ELECTION.  Come participate in the eLECtion... 

My other favorite - New Friend
He's completely off his rocker, but I'm so fascinated by this little guy,
he never fails to make me smile :)
And the last one for today...
I just left the class which is the worst behaved group of hooligans EVER.  This class consists of only boys and 95% of the time, I spend yelling at them - I'm usually FUMING by the end of the lesson and they're probably cussing me out in Thai.  When I walked into the class today, I asked them if they were going to be well behaved.  They said "No."  I laughed and praised them for being honest.  (Incidently, with the worst student in that class being absent today, they were astoundingly well behaved.  I was surprisingly shocked :)

If anything, you get some damn good stories being a teacher!  Hope this makes you chuckle!

P.S. None of the little cherubs in these pictures are any of the ones in the story (although Keam-ii in the first photo is a bit of a heartbreaker - she had a boy wailing because she didn't love him, poor lad)

No comments:

Post a Comment