Monday, January 7, 2013

I hope you're hungry!

I feel like my last foodie post (I'm back on the Thai food train...) left a little something to be desired.  I didn't know what half of the food I was talking about was really called, and I didn't have many pictures to go along with what I was talking about.  I've discovered quite a bit more since then and have tried to take more photos of what I eat (although I hate feeling like a tourist taking pictures of food, when in fact, I am an expat - just know that I feel silly taking pictures of meals, but sacrifices must be made for those of you out there reading this ;-)

Beteauy in a banana leaf
Let me go back to my last blog with the beteauy (pronounced 'bai-toy').  The "green jelly stuff" I mentioned is made from pandan and used in many desserts here, including cakes.  When it's formed into the pea-sized balls and served in the coconut soup, it's called boloi and served hot and is immensely delicious!  Here is a picture of beteauty sold from a cute little man that wonders around a restaurant near my school.  It comes in a packaged banana leaf like a surprise waiting to be enjoyed!  The beteauy is covered in a salty coconut thick cream and is absolutely lovely!



Banana rotee
Since life is short, and I've already talked about a dessert, let's continue with that theme.  These are two of my previous competing favourites (the boloi has overtaken them!).  First is banana rotee, a thin Indian pancake filled with a chopped banana, fried in butter on a flat pan, then drizzled with condensed milk!  It's crispy, creamy, sweet and adds about 5 pounds to your ass with every delicious bite!  The second is even more amazing (and since mango season is creeping back up, will probably overtake boloi on my favourite sweet).  Mango sticky rice.  Yes, son.  I said "mango sticky rice".  It's a sliced up juicy, melt-in-your-mouth amazing mango served with sticky rice, covered in coconut milk (mixed with palm sugar) and sprinkled with the fried yellow tops of the bean sprouts.  A nice, light and relatively healthy end to a meal.  Damn, I can't wait for mango season...2 more months to go!

Mango sticky rice


The "taco thing"
Finally as far as sweets go, here's this little taco-type thing.  The shell reminds me of a thin fortune cookie, while the filling is similar to a sweeter marshmallow fluff.  The orange topping is sugared shredded egg yolk.  They're not my favourite and given the choice of one of these tacos, or the taco in the sombrero, I'd take the Sombrero Taco any day.


Remember this little guy?!
A tastier taco :-)
Next up is Papaya Salad.  Green papaya is shredded with carrots, green beans, tomatoes and topped with peanuts.  Thai's tend to add a million chilis to theirs and seafood is also usually added (soft shell crab, squid and other gross fishy things).  I take mine not spicy with no fish.  A refreshing, light, and very healthy dish!
Papaya salad!

Now we have the Thai bbq.  A pan with a "moat" is placed over a flaming bowl of coals.  You load your plate with raw meat and veggies.  The meat goes on top of the bbq and water is placed in the moat.  When the juices of the meat drip into the water, you add your mixed veggies and noodles and eat a feast!  BBQ's are typically All-You-Can-Eat for 200 baht (about $6).

Thai bbq buffet
This next photo is called Beo-wan-guy, or sweet and sour chicken.  Lots of chicken.  Lots of rice.  Lots of mixed veggies.  And (with or without) a perfectly cooked fried egg!  You can get something similar without the sweet and sour sauce, but cooked with an oyster or mushroom sauce called Pad-pak-rum-guy (stir-fried mixed veggies with chicken and rice).

Sweet and sour chicken - Thai style
One of my new cravings of late is Khao-soy.  This a primarily a Northern Thai dish (it might be specific to Chiang Mai, but don't quote me on that).  A spicy yellow coconut curry with egg noodles and crispy noodles on top.  It's usually served with a chicken leg, but the last time I had it, they were out of chicken, so I got dodgy meatballs instead.  Khao-soy is served with a cabbage relish, sliced shallots, lime, and a wet chili paste.  I tend to pass on the chili paste as the Khao-soy is already borderline too spicy for my tender tongue!

On top: Khao-soy with dodgy meatballs
On bottom: the side dishes
AND FINALLY (haha!), this dish has become one of my favourites.  Noodle soup!  I always order the small noodles (the big ones feel like slugs sliding down my gullet) and rotate between pork (pictured), chicken, or beef.  The meats are always tender and delicious.  The broth is flavoured with garlic and herbs like cilantro and spring onion.  Also comes with bean sprouts and some form of lettuce in the broth.  I spice it up with a sprinkling of chili (Thai's add a few tablespoons...) and gulp it down!  Careful if you're using plastic chopsticks to eat this one, the noodles like to slide off them and splash back into the broth.  It's a serious art form eating noodle soup with plastic chopsticks!

Noodle soup with pork
Now it's time to wash it all down!  Here we have Thai iced tea called Chaa-yen, typically topped with sweetened condensed milk (the Thai's love their sugar if you can't tell - they actually add sugar to most of their savory dishes, such as ALL of the aforementioned).  This particular chaa-yen is topped with a foamy hibiscus :)  Here we also have the best cup-o'-joe in Chiang Mai, from Good Morning Chiang Mai!

Chaa-yen (left and top-right), and glorious coffee
from Good Morning, Chiang Mai!
Now, I hope I've made you hungry and want to go searching for some delicious Thai cuisine!

Happy hungry Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment