Thursday, June 6, 2013

Rapunzel, let down your hair!

I'm sitting here craving some German brats with sauerkraut...totally random, I know, but it got me thinking I haven't been on here in a while...and since I also haven't done much in the way of Korean adventures (I'm waiting on that first glorious payday...and I'm exhausted as shit), I figured I could pay tribute to German sausages and sauerkraut by doing a German Photo of the Week.

I absolutely adore Germany.  First and foremost, they've got beer.  Lots and lots of beer.  If that's not a main selling point for you to visit Germany, then I'm sorry...we can't be friends.  Second, they've got some delicious food...sausages and sauerkraut in particular.  Two of my favourite foods on the planet.  Third, the countryside is just beautiful - green hills and dark forests with a castle here and there.  Fourth, the architecture is just astounding.  Many buildings have traditional German murals painted on the sides...it's like walking through a real-life set of Pinocchio.  Finally, have you seen the castles in Germany?  No wonder my buddy, Walt (Disney, that is), drew his inspiration for Cinderella's castle from the enchanting Neuschwanstein in Bavaria.  You can even stay in a castle for a night or two (unfortunately not Neuschwanstein - which is actually an unfinished castle)...which brings me to the Photo of the Week.

My ma came to visit me in 2010 when I was living in Leicester, England.  We hopped on a plane to tip-toe through the tulips of Holland and road trip around the west/southwest side of Germany, ending in Munich.  At the beginning of our journey, we booked a night in Castle Bruch - also known as Rapunzel's castle.  The main apartments at the castle have been renovated into a bed and breakfast with impeccably maintained gardens surrounding the property in a sleepy little German village.

Without further adieu, I give you the German Photo of the Week...plus a few extras because I'm feeling a bit reminiscent.


Photo of the Week: Rapunzel, let down your hair!
Castle Bruch


Lush and beautiful Castle Bruch

Castle Eltz

A giant working cuckoo clock in Titisee!

A misty Black Forest

Hohenschwangau Castle - home of Kind Ludwig's parental units (and his home while Neuschwanstein was being built
across the road.

Hohenschwangau Castle detail

Neuschwanstein rising out of the mist

Finally, we ended our journey just outside of Munich, at Dachau Concentration Camp.  A fittingly dreary, wet day, walking around Dachau, you can still feel the pain and sadness in the air.

Dachau Concentration Camp survivor art

And for good measure, even President Obama enjoys some German sausage and potatoes in Titisee.

Sausage, potatoes and beeeeeeer!

Happy Trails!

P.S. German design is another thing Walt did right.

And purely because I mentioned Pinocchio, here you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment