Saturday, May 25, 2013

I got Seoul, but I'm not a Seouldier

I've been in South Korea for a week now...it's been a whirlwind of intensive training and trying to figure out this weirdly cool country.  Here are my first impressions of Korea:

  • It's surprisingly clean and modern.  While in Seoul, I didn't feel like I was in Asia until I tried to read the signs...which are all in Korean.  I don't read Korean...yet.  I feel completely illiterate.

  • Koreans seem really friendly, but scared of the white folk. 

  • Koreans have seriously old-fashioned opinions about tattoos.  I was asked if I'm part of a mafia or in a gang.  Yes, now do your homework.

  • I was in Seoul for my first 5 days here going through training for work.  I arrived in my city of Goyang Friday evening thinking I would be able to move into my apartment and finally get settled.  Unfortunately, the teacher I am replacing at my school is still in the apartment until Monday, so I'm holed up in a sexy-time "love motel" till then.  It smells like bad air freshener and post-coital cigarettes. 

  • There are a lot of French-style cafes around which is wonderful...I have a horrible obsession with pastries.  And coffee.

  • There is a lot of chlorine in the water here.  I'm sure my blond locks will be green in no time.  Upside?  I won't need a green wig or my Guinness hat for St. Patrick's Day.

  • I met some of my new students Friday evening.  The 6 year olds here speak better English than my oldest students in Thailand...and they're extremely eager to learn.  I love it already.

  • In Thailand, pretty much everything was translated into English because it a high-tourism country - from menus to (most) products in shops, to signs, to restaurants.  It's not like that in Korea, at least not that I've seen anyways.  This only increases my need to learn how to read Korean...and STAT!

  • I've decided I like kimchi.

  • And most importantly, Korean beer is pretty delicious.

It's only been a week, but my first impressions of Korea are a-okay!  It's easy to meet folks, which I struggled with in Thailand, and that in and of itself makes me happy.  Knock on wood, but I think there are good things to come here. 

Also, I noticed I passed the 2,000 reader mark.  Thanks for reading ya'll!

Happy Trails!

P.S. Be prepared for some pretty awesome song parodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment