Friday, June 14, 2013

Give me a beat, boys, and free my Seoul...

If you didn't already know by now, I love music.  Music and travel are my two vices (oh, and the Denver Broncos).  I always have to have music playing...and if I can't, then you can be sure there is a song in my head.  (As I write this line, Kill Your Heros by AWOLNATION is currently streaming through my phone).  My brain is first and foremost a jukebox; I can hear one word in a conversation and be instantly reminded of a lyric and start singing a line...out loud (...this is probably why I'm still single).  This last month or so, I've been on a big Jimmy Eat World phase, and as Jimmy has produced two of my all-time favourite albums, I decided to revisit my list of all-time favourite albums and share them with you.

In no particular order, I present to the list of Kaycee Race's All-Time Favourite Albums (and because I want to, a few music vids for your listening - and viewing - pleasure).

Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American.  This album takes me back to my Glory Days (all hail The Boss) working for my college radio station, 91.1fm KWSB in Gunnison, Colorado.  Spinning frequently, and also a "Penguin Pick" (a favourite song of the station's) was The Middle.



Bruce Springstein - Born in the USA.  Because I just mentioned him in the aforementioned post (did you catch that?).

Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism.  Because Death Cab has reined as my favourite band for, well, a long ass time...and because Transatlanticism is, well, a brilliant fucking album.

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs.  A superb album that whisks me back to my childhood days growing up in the Colorado suburbs.



Incubus - Make Yourself.  Another one from my glorious KWSB days.

Big Head Todd and the Monsters - Sister Sweetly.  A brilliant local Colorado band that, for some awful reason, isn't really heard of anywhere else besides Colorado, although they've been around for a good 20 years.

Nirvana - Nevermind.  This album should be on everybody's top album list.



Pink Floyd - The Wall.  The fucking Wall.  Yes.

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago.  Beautiful and mellow.  Bon Iver wrote and recorded this album alone and isolated in the Wisconsin woods...pretty badass if you ask me.

Death Cab For Cutie - Plans.  Lead singer Benjamin Gibbard has this knack for writing the music of my soul.



Jimmy Eat World - Futures.  Because I can feel every word of this album.

Dropkick Murphys - The Meanest of Times.  Listen to this in March.  It will gear you up for St. Pat's.

Fleet Foxes - (self-titled).  I was introduced to the Fleet Foxes during my time working for Starbucks.  One of the best things to come from that job.

Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History.  A fucking awesome album.



Jack Johnson - On and On.  Because I can't have an all-time favourite album list without Jack and in my eyes, this is his best one.

Led Zeppelin - Mothership.  Because it's Led Zeppelin...do I need to explain?

Johnny Cash - The Essential Johnny Cash.  I was trying to keep compilations off this list, but Johnny Cash is the exception.  If I ever have a kid, regardless of gender, it will be named Cash.

Young the Giant - (self-titled).  Since its release in 2010, I can't get enough of it.  A seriously amazing piece of work...YTG are currently working on their next album and I can't wait to get my hands on it.



Michael Jackson - Thriller.  Another childhood favourite.

Frightened Rabbit - A Winter of Mixed Drinks.  I was fortunately introduced to this band through Death Cab, as they're a popular opener for DCFC...this album is really fantastic.



And purely because I have a lyric from You Are A Tourist inked permanently on my arm:
Death Cab For Cutie: Codes And Keys.  (It's not their best album by any means *cough*Transatlanticism*cough*, but it's still pretty damn great).



I leave it at that.  These are albums in which I love each and every single song on them.  Beautiful masterpieces for various moods.  Some I listen to quite frequently more than others, but they're all brilliant just the same.

What are your favourites?  I'm always on the hunt for new tunes...

No comments:

Post a Comment