Friday, September 14, 2012

The Lonely Girl's first post with a catchy title.

This is my first attempt at blogging, so bare with me.

I've been living in Thailand for nearly 9 months now, I've had my fair share of ups and downs (I'll try to back track on some things later on) and more recently, there have been a shit ton more 'downs' than 'ups'.  Which has brought on this idea to start a blog. 

Flashback to July 8, 2012:
I was having a glorious Sunday, having taken a long walk - as I love doing - and discovered a sweet little cafe somewhere in the Old City of Chiang Mai.  The cafe is called Good Morning, Chiang Mai.  It's in the heart of the city, but makes you feel like you're miles from nowhere.  Great food, good service...I sat there for about 3 hours reading a book (Game of Thrones book 2, if you were wondering ;) , drinking a few glorious coffees and killing time until I was to meet my friend at the cinema for a little Spiderman viewage. 

Deciding I wanted to increase my fruit intake for the day, I left to find my favourite smoothie maker in the city, Anne.  On my way to have Anne make me a delicious pineapple and yogurt smoothie, I found out I was not the Superhero I thought I was.  I was crossing the street, when much to my demise, three 15 year old girls on a motorbike slammed into me.  After 6 months, it was finally Frogger: Game Over for this little frog.  With some serious pain in my left ankle, I was taken to the emergency room and found out I had a torn ligament in my ankle.  Suuuuuck.  Lying in that ER, in a country where I don't speak the language only reinforced my lonliness here.  Living in a country of 60 million people, I've never been or felt more alone.

Flashforward to 2 days ago:
I've been having a minor tooth ache since May.  It was minor until two days ago.  I kept putting off going to the dentist "until next month".  Well, "next month" turned into an emergency visit and that "putting it off" has lead me to needing a root canal. FML (or "Som-nom-naa" as they say in Thailand, which means "serves you fucking right for putting off going to the dentist"). 

Still not quite as mobile as I'd like to be from my accident (and still in pain), I now have to have someone poke, prod, drill, grind, grind, drill, and do fucking whatever else they need to do to kill this pain in my tooth.  The feeling that I have for this has only increased the lonliness.  Don't get me wrong, I'm as fucking independent as they come...single for 31 years and always kept an emotional (and physical) distance from my family, but sometimes, a girl just needs a good friend (in the flesh - not the cyber kind) to chill out with when times are tough, and maybe get a few sympathetic hugs.  I like hugs.  Who doesn't?  Can a Lonely Girl just get a damn hug in Thailand?! 

All of this in mind, last night The Lonely Girl's Guide to the World was born in my mind.  It's an experiment.  I don't know if I'll blog anything useful (and I'd be shocked if you're still reading this right now), but maybe something genius will come from this mind and inspire others to go out in the world and be lonely (it's not *all* bad...it's usually, well - always - pretty great!!).  I'm also hoping that this will dubb as my journal since I'm absolutely shit at writing in mine.

'til next time, Happy Trails!
LG

2 comments:

  1. Although I am a person who also keeps extreme physical distance from people (including family.... Just ask Darek- I would rather croak than snuggle) I will give you.a safe-no-touching hug from Kansas. :)

    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Em! Thailand is not a country where a girl can find much affection (not that I need it or want it, but just a hug every now and then is nice). Men here, however, can find all the loving they need...I live a stone's throw away from what I've dubbed "Prostitute Lane". Old, fat, nasty hairy white men prowling outside nightclubs and "massage" parlors with beautiful, young Thai women, I get a mouthfull of bile everytime I see it. It's revolting and (literally) puts a sour taste in my mouth for Thailand.

    ReplyDelete