Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pic of the week - Sept 30 - Oct 6

I had this brilliant idea last night somewhat inspired by reading another travel blog (of which I can't remember the name, so sorry I cannot reference it).  I'm going to start a Pic of the Week.  Every week, I will post a photo from somewhere along the line of my travels.  I will talk about the emotions felt, the smells, the beauty, whatever is evoked and remembered from looking at the picture.  I'm hoping this will inspire and encourage people to get out an visit these places!

_________________________________________________________________________________


The first Pic of the Week comes from my most favourite place I've visited: The Cliffs of Moher in Ireland.  This is one of the most beautiful, peaceful places I have ever been to.

The very first Pic of the Week!
The Cliffs of Moher in Ireland
 


To walk along the Cliffs is to feel the beauty of what this world can give you.  I remember sitting here thinking that if I could sit here for the rest of my life, I would die a happy little lady.  It's windy as fuck and to get to this particular spot, you have to cross a barrier that urges you not to cross (because of the danger of the wind blowing you over the side)...


Of course I crossed it.  Everybody crosses it.  What is this world without a little rebellion? ;-)

Many people come to the Cliffs of Moher to do themselves in, end their lives, commit suicide if you will.  I'm not suicidal in any way, but if I was, I'm about 100% sure that's where I'd go.  Not only is your last view going to be spectacular, but the fall will certainly kill you (and if by chance it doesn't, the icy cold Atlantic will). 

If you have seen Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince or The Princess Bride, you will have seen the Cliffs of Moher, although the Cliffs's beauty is not so nearly represented on film.  I urge you to visit the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland (not to kill yourself!).  It's not like looking at a picture and realizing their beauty, there are indescribable emotions felt walking along those cliffs that you can't experience by looking at a photograph.  And after you've had a nice afternoon of cliff walking in the chilly Irish air, you can warm yourself by the fire in an Irish pub, dance along to some live Irish music and drink a proper pint of Guinness, Black Gold if you will :)

Happy Trails,
LG

No comments:

Post a Comment