Saturday, March 23, 2013

Timing is Everything - Photo of the Week

Most of the time, photography is all about timing.  Being in the right place at the right time (especially in regards to lighting - the best photos are taken at the cusp of dawn and dusk, out of the harsh light of day).  Then there are those right place, right time accidental photographs.  The ones where something peculiar happens the moment you press that magic little button on your camera.  This happened to me yesterday evening...

The sunsets in Chiang Mai have been brilliant lately - because of the horrible pollution.  As the sun is lowering in the sky, it becomes a brilliant shade of reddish magenta and is just magnificent.  A few nights ago, I was on the hunt to kill my hunger, driving around looking for some nosh.  It was in the evening and with the sunset, the colors emanating from the buildings were just spectacular.  I drove by a temple I had never seen before that was just beyond beautiful in the evening light.  Hunger winning over that evening (and camera-less), I vowed to come back and photograph this temple in the beautiful light of the evening.  It was during this time that I had one of those perfect right time, right place photographs....and every time I look at it, I bust out laughing!!

I have the utmost respect to monks, so this in no way is disrespectful to them...however, this photo is too perfectly timed not to share!  Wondering around the temple taking pictures, I noticed a solitary monk with a watering hose watering the garden.  Not wanting to be noticeably taking his picture, I was making my way out of the temple, photographing some small Buddha statues, I quickly turned to grab a picture of the monk.  At that moment, he was just watering the garden...the second I clicked the camera, well...see for yourself!

Photo of the Week, from some temple in Chiang Mai, a monk!

Photo of the Week - Monk "watering" the garden!

Here are a few more photos from the temple.  They didn't turn out as I would have liked, and definitely do not do the temple justice in terms of beauty! 

My, what big teeth you have!  One of two dragon temple guardians.

Sunset at the temple

Sunset at the temple.  Unfortunately, the colours are not justified as they are in person.

And for good measure, the sunset - brilliant and red.  This wasn't taken at the temple, but near my apartment.

If you want to read more about my favourite temples in Chiang Mai, check out my Temple Spotting blog!

Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment