Sunday, February 24, 2013

Train..er, Temple Spotting!

I'm broke like a joke.  That's what happens when you live in Thailand, run out of your USD savings (months ago) and have to live on your Thai baht.  Making beans and teaching monsters is fine when you only have to pay for your life in Thailand.  Me?  I have American bills to pay - on Thai baht.  Which means 1/4th of my paycheck is sent home and by the end of every month, I'm struggling.  I've been so bored lately, mainly because I've been unwell so haven't had the energy to do nowt.  Now that I'm feeling much better (thanks to my Thai BFF - the pharmacist), it's nearing the end of February and I'm down to my last pennies.  Wanting to get out of my apartment and get some "fresh" air (it's pollution season), I remembered the fun and free, biggest tourist opportunity in Chiang Mai: Temple Spotting.

Chiang Mai has over 300 temples (or "Wats") alone.  There are more temples in Chiang Mai than there are Starbucks in Seattle.  Many people say that after a while, one temple just looks like the last.  I can see where people are coming from when they say that, however, if you take the time to really explore them, you will find they each have their own personalities, beauty and history. 

I went hunting for the "silver" temple today.  Most temples are gold, but this one, literally about a 2 minute motorbike ride from my apartment, is made entirely of silver!  It's really spectacular!  This area is famous for its silver, so it's only appropriate that this temple - the only silver temple in Thailand (and perhaps the world) - is here.  It's HANDMADE and unfinished, set to be complete in 2015.  This temple is a bit out of the way of the main tourist track, so there are rarely people wondering around...always a bonus!!  So without further adieu, I give you Wat Srisuphan.


Wat Srisuphan - the silver temple of Chiang Mai
Mad detail...Wat Srisuphan
Part of the back - all done by hand!!

This next temple is my favourite in Chiang Mai.  It's one of the last remaining teak wood temples in Thailand.  Wat Pan Tao, located near the center of the Old City.


Wat Pan Tao - one of the last remaining teak wood temples, and my favourite in the city


Moonrise over Wat Pan Tao


My first visit to Wat Pan Tao, I found this beautiful Buddha in a field
of tulips.
This image is for sale at www.artforconservation.org/artists/racephotography


Next door to Wat Pan Tao is Wat Chedi Luang.  It couldn't be more different from Pan Tao.  Behind the main building of the temple is the chedi ruins, destroyed by an earthquake.

Prayers at Wat Chedi Luang

Down the street is one of the big tourist temples: Wat Phra Singh.  Personally, I don't understand why this temple is so popular, with Pan Tao and Chedi Luang about 3 minutes away.  But hey, if it diverts the tourists, I won't complain!

Wat Phra Singh

Sunset at Wat Phra Singh

Take a drive or grab a songtaew taxi up the Doi Suthep mountain and you will find Wat Phra Doi Suthep - the most important and highly regarded temple of Chiang Mai.  The chedi is bright gold and almost blinding in the day's sunlight, but it's really beautiful.  White people, make sure you've got some baht on you, as you will be charged an entrance fee.  It's called "Skin Tax".  (However, if you've got a Thai work permit, flash that little sucker and you can get in at the "Thai price" - free)

Merit makers and prayers, circling the chedi of
Wat Phra Doi Suthep thrice
This is at the bottom of the giant staircase (not pictured),
a crazy dragon vomiting dragons
Wat Phra Doi Suthep
This temple is in the middle of the Royal Flora - a botanical garden in Chiang Mai with an entrance fee.  I'm not sure how much as I was there on a school trip.  Cool temple though.


A temple at the Royal Flora botanical gardens
 
There are so many more temples to be explored (and I've left a lot of them out that I've visited).  You can read about the White Temple of Chiang Rai here, it looks similar to Wat Srisuphan, but I was way more impressed by Srisuphan...the silver carvings are handmade, it's really unbelievable!

If you, like me, ever find yourself broke in Chiang Mai, go for a walk and check out some temples...with over 300, they're not hard to find :)

Happy Temple Spotting Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment