Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pic of the Week - Oct 8

I'm lying here in bed trying to sleep as I've had a long day of exploring Chiang Mai with my friend who is visiting from the States, when much to my dismay the dreadful Soccer Cinema is making it's weekendly appearance outside my window.  With the fucking Manchester United game blaring through my window at 11:15pm on a Sunday night, it is impossible to get any shut eye...regardless of how tired I am or how early I have to get up in the morning (my friend and I are on our way to Pai and Mae Hong Son).  Obviously not tired enough (no seriously, I'm freaking exhausted....with a swollen ankle to boot), I've resigned to update my Pic of the Week as I will have no other time this week to share the joys and wonders of my travels (as I'm off on a few new adventures!).

This week's Pic actually hails from my home state of Colorado.  This time of year at home is my favourite - Autumn, glorious autumn.  I really love this time of year: the crisp fresh air, the beautiful aroma of roasted green chilis filling the air, pumpkin flavoured EVERYTHING making is annual comeback, football season (not stupid European football...REAL football - NFL - Go Broncos!), and of course, the changing of the aspen leaves which engulfs the Colorado Rockies in mountain of flames (pun intended).

Colorado is one of the most beautiful places on earth to witness the colours of autumn.  With the Rocky Mountains as my backyard, I consider myself a lucky lady to bask in the beauty of this wonder.


This photo was taken in September 2009 on Ohio Creek Pass between Gunnison and Crested Butte.  The rock formation in the back is called The Castles.

I was living in England at the time and unfortunately had to make the long journey home as my Stepfather had passed away.  I needed to get out of the sadness and clear my head for a bit, so ended up heading to Gunnison for the weekend as it was Western's Homecoming weekend (my alma mater....Go Mountaineers).  I love taking drives through the mountains, so decided to take this splendid, dirt road route alternative to get to Crested Butte.  The fresh air and view was just what I needed.  It's what I always need.  Sometimes it's hard to find on my travels, but I know it's always there waiting for me when I go home.  In my beloved Rocky Mountains.  Home sweet home.

If ever your in Gunnison and heading to Crested Butte, take this alternative route.  Even if it's in the summer, it's beautiful and covered in wildflowers.  The turn off for Ohio Creek Pass is about 5 miles outside of Gunnison on the way to CB.

Here are a few more photos from this trip (I know it's called "Pic" of the week, not "pics", but c'mon, they're beautiful, right?  Who wouldn't want to see them?)



Happy Trails,
LG

2 comments:

  1. Very beautiful! Next year we may have to go visit mean Jean in the fall rather than spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Go in the autumn, between the 3rd and 4th weekend in September! That's when the colours are at their prime ;)

    ReplyDelete