Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A delicious slice of Pai (Photo of the Week)

Since my arrival in Thailand, I've been told by every backpacker I've met that I must go to Pai.  It's an amazing place and somewhere you have to see.  If you know anything about me, you know I hate taking the road travelled.  Especially by backpackers.  The fact that everyone was saying I just had to go to Pai was the one reason I didn't want to go.  It wasn't until I made a new friend this past spring that I was convinced.  She said Pai was a sleepy little village where you don't do anything but chill out in a hammock and eat.  Two of my favourite things.

With my friend coming from the States for 3 weeks, I thought this would be the perfect beginning to our adventure.  I had been cooped up in Chiang Mai because of my ankle injury for the past 3 months, surrounded by hustle and bustle, noise, and dirty smells...I really needed some fresh air and a chilled out atmosphere.  I was right in coming here.


Pai Walking Street

Pai is completely lovely.  The journey to get there, however, is not.  On the bus ride though the mountains, I began to understand why backpackers come for a couple of days and stay for a couple of weeks.  762 mountainous jungle curves with a bus driver who doesn't slow down...I'm pretty sure there's at least 1 person who vomits on every trip (lucky it wasn't me).  I was beginning to think this trip to Pai would be my only trip to Pai because of that drive...

...Then we arrived.  THIS is why I came to Thailand.  Pai is completely gorgeous and full of laid back Thai charm.  The air is filled with the delicate scent of jasmine and I fell asleep each night to the sound of sweet little frogs chirping in the pond outside my cozy bungalow.  There is a walking street market on the main road in Pai where locals sell their handmade fare and you can taste delicious street food under a canopy of fairy lights. 

During the day, you can rent a motorbike for dirt cheap, about 140 baht per day (less than $5) and you can get around to see some of the beautiful waterfalls, hot springs, caves and countryside.

This week's Photo of the Week comes from the Mor Paeng waterfall about 7km outside of Pai.  This is facing away from the waterfall.  I was a bit bummed out that I couldn't climb up the waterfall and swim in its pools (due to said bum ankle), but the area is gorgeous none-the-less, surrounded by jungles, and the drive is spectacular.

Photo of the Week: Mor Paeng Waterfall


New friends
From left, me, Diana, Fluke and Johnny - who taught me how to play a C chord on the guitar.  I'll be forming my own band within the month.


Elephant trekking with a guy called Enjoy.

Other things to do in Pai: Elephant trekking.  My friend was able to ride on the back of an elephant and bathe with it in the river.  Again, I chose to sit out on this because of the bum ankle, but that shit looked like fun and something I will definitely do once I'm back in tip top shape!

Pai is about a 3 hour bus ride northwest of Chiang Mai, halfway to Mae Hong Son.  A popular circuit for adventuresome travellers.

If you want to avoid the bus trip, you can also fly.

Happy Trails!
LG

No comments:

Post a Comment