Sunday, October 29, 2017

Repatriation Part 2: Undateable Me

In my last blog, I mentioned three things I wanted to focus on after Repatriating back to the States.  The first was rehabilitating my leg.  The second, which that blog focused on, was my career.  And the third was finally feeling ready to give my heart to someone, which is waaaaaaaay easier said than done.

Since moving home, I've realized how travel has made me completely undateable.  Here's why:

#1 I AM FIERCELY INDEPENDENT

Growing up, I've always been what I call, a floater.  I have many friends of different backgrounds, with different interests, in different social circles.  I only have a few very close friends that know me inside and out.  Because of that, I've always done things pretty much on my own.  The older I got, the more independent I became.  I started going out to eat on my own, going to the cinema on my own, and visiting countries solo.

I'm pretty sure guys don't know how to deal with an independent chick.  I genuinely believe there is nothing a man could do for me that I can't do for myself.

Takin' in that view: Cliffs of Moher


#2 I AM A SOCIAL RECLUSE

Because of that independence, I've become too comfortable with my own company.  Not to mention, I'm incredibly introverted.  If I spend a day with someone, I need two or three secluded days to recover.  The amount of energy it takes for me to go out and meet people now is exhausting.  And honestly, I've been alone for so long that I really would have no idea how to be someones second half.

Dudes, correct me if I'm wrong, but y'all seem to like those -needy- girls.

Upside of a recluse: Kilroy selfies


#3 I AM A SEASONED SOLO-ER

I started traveling alone out of necessity...the majority of my friends (aka, -all- of them) had their own lives.  They either already were in relationships, or they at least had the best friends that I never really had, so why would they want to come with me?  I've become seasoned at goin' alone.  And I'm pretty sure because of that, I make a horrible travel partner.  For example, a friend had come to visit me when I lived in Thailand.  Early one morning, she was really sick and needed to go to the hospital.  I told her to get a tuk tuk, then I went back to bed.  When I woke up, I felt horrible (and still do).  I didn't think to go with her because I'm used to figuring things out and doing them alone.  I just don't think about others...not because I'm a horrible person, but because I've never had to.

Also, I'm used to doing things on my own terms.  I literally have no one to answer to but myself when I'm on the road.

Making furry friends!


#4 I HAVE ZERO FASHION SENSE 

Most females I know enjoy dressing up.  Dresses, heals, bling.  Me?  Nope.  Travel requires comfort.  Sitting on an overnight bus for 12 hours to get to a hostel and immediately start exploring your new city takes jeans or leggings, t-shirts, and hiking shoes.  That sense of fashion has definitely followed me home.  I am not a girly girl, and as much as I try to dress up, I'm uncomfortable and fail miserably at it.  I'm not one of those flirty girls that dudes seem to flock to, I'm more like "just one of the guys".

I don't care what I look like...because I'm fabulous regardless 


#5 TRAVEL HAS MADE ME SELFISH 

I'm selfish and I fully admit that.  I've been too busy discovering myself to invest in anyone else.  When I lived overseas, I built walls around my heart because I get attached easily and put my heart into things far more often than I should.  And it backfires every single time.  When I moved back to the States, I decided to drop those walls and all it's caused me since is pain and misery.

The ideal dude: Mr. Darcy, who, I'm sure, real dudes have no idea who he is


#6 IT'S HARD TO RELATE TO WESTERNERS

There are very few Americans that have passports, and even fewer still that venture beyond cruise ships or Mexican beach resorts.  I was genuinely surprised that I didn't meet many Americans in Peru.  In Europe?  Yes, there are more around, but not nearly as many as other nationalities who wanderlust with the best of them.  Because I travel, I'm incredibly open-minded and see things from a million different views.  I also have a lot of stories, and traveling stories are pretty much all that I know or have to talk about.  I feel like people think I'm pretentious or think I'm trying to make them jealous by talking about my experiences.  I'm 100% not.  It's just what I know.  Therefore, I don't say much around people anymore, because I don't want to push them away.

Guys don't seem to care about my stories or ask questions to keep the conversation going.  If you're not interested in my life experiences, I'm not interested in you. #SorryNotSorry

Conquering Inca ruins in Ollantaytambo


#7 I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FLIRT

Admittedly, I've never been in a relationship.  I've been on a few dates, but nothing that ever amassed into anything worth talking about.  I don't know how to be a flirty girly girl.  I'm honest and forthright, and I don't play stupid games.  Ain't nobody got time for that.

If I like a guy, I tell them.  And I'm definitely discovering that guys can't handle a girl that knows what she wants.  I've been rejected more times than I can count...but at least I'm not wasting time pretending to be someone I'm not.

Heeeeey...goin' my way? Jokusarlon, Iceland


#8 I'LL NEVER STOP TRAVELING

This is non-negotiable.  Travel is vital to my system.  It's therapy.  It brings me balance.  If I meet a dude that wants to travel with me, great.  If not, he better be fine with me being gone for weeks at a time because that's who I am and I'll never stop exploring this world.  The moment I'm back from one trip, I'm already dreaming and planning the next five trips.  That's what comes from meeting people abroad and hearing about what they've done and where they've been...It opens the door to so many more places to see!

Machu Picchu opened the door for six more World Wonders I HAVE to conquer!


So...if you're a travelin' dude that likes travelin', independent chicks, give ya girl a shout!  I'm not the one missing out.  You are.

Happy Trails!

And because I Go It Alone...



1 comment: