Friday, April 18, 2014

Wasting Time...in the Andaman Sea - A Photo Blog

Dreaming of sandy beaches and clear, turquoise waters, I bring you my newest photo blog of the few weeks I spent lounging on Koh Ngai in the Andaman Sea.

After I completed my TEFL certificate in February 2012, it was time to find a job.  Having imagined myself teaching wee Thai monsters in the mornings and spending lazy afternoons on a palm tree studded beach with a Mai Thai in my hand, I left Chiang Mai and headed south to Krabi to look for work.  I spent a few days in Krabi learning how to ride a motorbike and dropping off my CV at the schools in the area.  Meanwhile, my friend Laudi, who was a fellow student on my TEFL course, was living on Koh Ngai - a small island off the coast of Trang - with her diver-instructor boyfriend.  She invited me to come stay with them while I waited to hear about any job offers.  Her friend Laura was coming to visit from the Netherlands.  We spent the next few weeks lounging on hammocks and snorkeling in the beautiful Andaman Sea.

Catching the longtail boat from Trang to Koh Ngai

Sailors: Laudi, me, and Laura
(No, I wasn't intentionally flipping everyone off, I'm just no good at throwing "peace" signs)

Tu, preparing the fishing gear...I think.

First glimpse of Koh Ngai

Hanging out with the divers of Ronan Dive

Our first night, we headed to Koh Ra to snorkel while divers of Ronan Dive headed out for a night dive...
Overnight camping on a boat!

Beautiful Koh Ra

Storm brewing over Koh Ra...it was a doozy!

Waking up on a boat to this
Sunrise on the Andaman

From Koh Ra, we headed to Koh Rok, a national park

Beautiful beach of Koh Rok

Koh Rok

Looking out from Koh Ngai

Koh Ngai sunset

Sometimes, I sing on beaches

Enjoying a nice evening on the beach of Koh Ngai

Unfortunately, while I was in the south, I never received a call regarding a job in Krabi.  So, running out of money (because the south of Thailand is a bit more expensive than the north), I headed back to Chiang Mai...and 24 hours later was offered a job.  About three weeks after that, I received a call from a school in Krabi.  I'm still cursing myself that I didn't back out of my contract and head back to the beach.  Hindsight is always a bitch.

If you dig solitude and quiet beach life, check out Koh Ngai.  Additionally, if you want to learn how to dive, here is a link for my friend's dive shop, Ronan Dive.

Happy Trails!

And what's a beach blog without a little Jack?


No comments:

Post a Comment