Sunday, April 14, 2013

CNX - DEN

I’m sitting here in the Chiang Mai airport waiting to depart and thought I would get in one last Thai blog before I’m gone, daddy, gone.  (However, it won’t be posted until I arrive at my final destination: DEN)

I have really enjoyed my last two weeks in Chiang Mai.  I was getting back that feeling I had when I first arrived to Thailand, because I was trying out new things and buzzing around on the Orange Rocket.

Map of the Mae Sa Valley Samoeng Loop

The Orange Rocket!
With many pleasant drives you can take, I finally put my fears behind me and opted for one of the easier ones: the Samoeng loop around Doi Suthep.  At about 70km, it really is a remarkable drive.  I went the backwards route, starting from Hong Dong and ending in Mae Rim.  There are many places to stop along the way, hike for waterfalls, grab a few photos at a viewpoint, chow down at one of the many resorts and restaurants along the road.  There are a few elephant camps hither and dither.  At one point, I pulled over to try and find a waterfall, only to hike about a ¼ mile and decided my ankle couldn’t take it.  I continued on and stopped at a viewpoint overlooking the Samoeng Forest.  As beautiful as it was, any other time of the year it would have been much better – this time of year is the “burning season” in Chiang Mai and there was smoke clouding every view imaginable.


Smokey Samoeng Forest

Safety first!

Playing in the Mae Sa Waterfall
Missing out on the elusive waterfall, I stopped at the Ma Sae waterfall outside of Mae Rim.  There is a series of 10 waterfalls to which you must pay an entrance fee (luckily I was carrying my work permit and paid the Thai price at 40 baht.  Skin Tax price is a hefty 120 baht per person).  The waterfalls were beautiful, but awfully crowded.  With temperatures reaching triple-Fahrenheit-digits since February, many Thai families were picnicking at the falls and swimming to cool down from the heat of the afternoon.  Add in the many “farang” folk (foreigners) and I decided not to stick around. 
Mae Sa Waterfall










The Samoeng loop is a great way to spend the day.  I spent about 6 hours on the drive.  My little Orange Rocket could only do about 35km driving up some of the steep hills, but that just gave me the opportunity to look around and enjoy the beautiful (albeit, smoggy) scenery.  There are many other places to stop near Mae Rim – tourist traps in my eyes.  There’s the Monkey Show, Snake Show, an Elephant Camp, a Crocodile Show, and the Tiger Kingdom – where one can pet and play with tigers (I’ve heard rumours that the tigers are drugged, but read reviews that discredit this…not having been there, I’m still sceptical that they’re not drugged).  I’m not really the kind of person to pay money and support these kind of shows and attractions (exploitations…), so if you’re further interested in them, I’m not the person to ask.

Picnics at the 'falls

A few days later, two of my friends and I drove out to the Chiang Mai quarry.  I had never heard of the quarry, but it was absolutely beautiful and something unique to do to get out of the city (and away from the crowds).  The quarry is out just past the Hong Dong golf course, a massive hole in the ground filled with water which makes for great swimming.  It’s deep as hell, so if you’ve got the balls, you can also do some cliff-jumping.  However, “Kaycee don’t jump” so I was having none of that business (and rightly so, my two friends grabbed the bull by the horns and both injured themselves jumping, er, should I say “falling” from the cliff).  The water was cool and revitalizing.  There was a small group of Thai teens swimming and another small group of foreign cliff jumpers.  All and all, it was really quiet and, minus the injuries, made for a lovely afternoon.  (It’s also freeeeeee!)

The Chiang Mai quarry

Crazy cliff jumpers at the quarry!

Combine those two activities with market shopping and eating lots of delicious food, yes, my last two weeks in Chiang Mai were a success!

I have a feeling that a lot of my friends and family have felt like I’ve just been on a permanent vacation in Thailand.  Let me tell you, it’s definitely not the case.  Sure, I live in a tropical environment, but I still get up every morning and go to work.  I’m (was) more than a Nine-to-Fiver.  I put in over 40 hours a week teaching at my school and get very little back (in regards to monetary value…and insanely pathetic amount if I’m honest).  It’s not all coconut shakes and sunshine, Thai massages and smiles.  If you’ve been reading this blog from the beginning, you know I’ve had my ups and downs here.  I woke this morning feeling immensely excited to be leaving Thailand, which reinforces the fact that I know it’s time.  However, that being said, I’m extremely grateful for this opportunity.  I now hold in my hand a Golden Ticket to take me anywhere in the world and be able to make money wherever I go.  I’m looking forward to refreshing and re-energizing myself for a few weeks at home before starting my next adventure: I got that Big Bad job in South Korea and will be off again come May (that is if South Korea still exists by then…Kim Jong Un, play nice dammit!)  So, stay tuned for a few Photo of the Week blogs until the time I head off into the great unknown again to grow and learn something new!

Thanks for everything, Thailand…keep it real.

Happy Trails!

 
 
UPDATE: July 7, 2013
 
I've heard word from some friends in Thailand that the Chiang Mai Quarry is now closed to the public.  Apparently, a Thai teen was jumping from that cliff I mentioned and died.  Very tragic and sad!


No comments:

Post a Comment